If you are traveling this holiday season, be sure to take some precautions to be sure that you and your loved ones are safe.
Avoid Drunk Driving Crashes
Drunk driving crashes are a major cause of holiday injury and death. If you must travel by car, here are some tips to avoid DUI injuries:
- Never drive after you drink any alcohol or take any drugs, even prescription medication. While many people believe that they can judge how drunk they are, it is almost impossible to do so with accuracy. If you drink at all or take any type of drugs, you should not be behind the wheel. Instead, designate a sober driver, take public transportation, or call a cab.
- Never get in the car with someone who is drinking. A number of victims of DUI were not driving themselves; instead, they got into the car with someone who ended up causing a crash. Your group should always have a designated driver who touches no alcohol at all during the party; this is the only way to ensure that your driver stays sober. If you are afraid to ride with someone, insist your host call a cab.
- Make provisions for your guests. You can help prevent a DUI accident by not allowing your guests to drive drunk. Take their keys, call a cab, or offer to have them stay over.
You can also reduce your chances of being an innocent DUI victim by taking the following precautions:
- Try to minimize your travel during peak DUI hours. While DUI accidents can and do occur at any time of the day, nighttime and weekend hours are when they are most common. If possible, try to limit your travel during late night and early morning hours, especially around the holidays.
- Be cautious when walking or biking. Many pedestrians and bicycle riders become the innocent victims of drunk drivers. Be alert to your surroundings and try to avoid riding your bike or walking at night. If you must, wear reflective clothing and yield to drivers who seem to be erratic.
- Use public transportation. Public transportation has an incredibly low accident rate. If you must travel during the holidays, try to use buses or trains whenever possible. Of course, you should also be mindful of your surroundings and only use public transportation when it is safe to do so.
If you have been the victim of a DUI crash, contact the attorneys at Fitzgerald Law Firm in New York today.