Autism Symptoms and Signs
Lawyers for Autism Symptoms and Signs
$3,250,000 settlement for child with autism spectrum disorder – The Fitzgerald Law Firm Medical Malpractice law firm argued that the hospital mismanaged labor and delivery.
If your child has signs and symptoms of autism, contact the law firm of The Fitzgerald Law Firm for a free consultation: 1-800-323-9900 (toll-free) or submit the firm’s online contact form.
The information on autism spectrum disorders (also referred to herein as “autism”) is provided by The Fitzgerald Law Firm. Over the past 30 years, the firm has developed a concentration in representing brain damaged children. Injury to the immature brain, both before and after birth, can result in autism and other motor and social deficits. We believe the brains of children who have autism have been injured by lead paint, other environmental toxins, medical negligence, and/or other insults. We have recovered millions for children with brain damage. Contact The Fitzgerald Law Firm Medical Malpractice law firm for a free consultation regarding your child who has been diagnosed with autism or who has symptoms of autism. Autism lawyers are here to help.
Signs and Symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorders
Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder or syndrome whose key signs include deficits in social interaction and communication as well as fixed repetitive behaviors. Because there are several forms and levels of severity of autism, signs may be more or less present in some children. Not all of the signs need be present. These signs typically appear during infancy but in some instances do not become fully apparent until as late as 3 years of age, even when the cause of the autism is a birth injury.
Below is a list of features or indicators that may be found in an autistic child. The list is derived from the sources listed in the references section below.
- Does not babble, point, or make meaningful gestures by 1 year of age
- Does not speak one word by 16 months
- Does not combine two words by 2 years
- Does not respond to name
- Loses language or social skills
Additional Autism Symptoms and Signs
- Poor eye contact
- Doesn’t seem to know how to play with toys
- Excessively lines up toys or other objects
- Is attached to one particular toy or object
- Doesn’t smile
- At times seems to be hearing impaired
- Noticeable egocentric stance – seems to be in own world much of the time
- Literal interpretation of things said to them
- Inability to perceive mockery or when they are being taken advantage of
- Savant abilities or “islets of ability” – unusual ability to play a musical instrument, remember numbers, names, addresses, etc., or create art. The child may also exhibit an uncanny ability with jigsaw-type tasks, rote memorization, or perception of minute details or changes.
Signs and Symptoms Not Specific to Autism but Found in Some Children with Autism
- Seizures or epileptic episodes
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Immune system problems
- Frith, U and F Happé (2005). Autism spectrum disorder. Current Biology 15(19):R786-R790.