GET A LAWYER! Early Signs of Cerebral Palsy, and What You Can Do

cerebral palsy

Because we’re all individuals, signs or symptoms of cerebral palsy (CP) will vary from person to person. In this article, we’ll share ways to identify signs of the condition so that you can get treatment and make an informed decision about whether or not you want to seek legal action.

Early Signs of Cerebral Palsy

The most obvious tip-off that your child may have a form of CP is a delay is reaching certain milestones related to movement, including rolling over, sitting, standing or walking.

Generally speaking, these milestones include being able to:

  • Roll over at about the 6-month mark
  • Sit without support after 9 months
  • Walk when he/she is 12 months

For a child younger than 6 months, potential signs of CP include:

  • Felling stiff
  • When cradled, the child overextends the back and neck as of pushing away
  • When picked up, the child’s legs become stiff and cross

For a child older than 6 months, signs include:

  • Not being able to roll in either direction
  • An inability to bring hands together
  • Difficulty in bringing things to his/her mouth
  • Reaching out with one hand while the other remains in a fist

For a child older than 10 months, CP indicators include:

  • Crawling in a lopsided way
  • Scooting around on buttocks or even hopping on knees but not crawling on all fours

Importance of Getting Diagnosis and Starting Treatment Soon

Keep in mind that there is no cure for CP. However, treatment can go a long ways in improving the lifestyle of those with it.

Once a diagnosis has been made, you and your child should be provided by health professionals with a plan of action for not only living with the condition, but for your child to reach his/her full potential.

How a Lawyer Can Help You

It may surprise you that even a mild form of CP can have a significant impact on your child’s life. Beyond possibly affecting the ability to generally fit in, it can also affect the capability of finding employment and simply enjoying life.

A lawyer specializing in CP can be instrumental in a host of ways, including:

  • Helping you through the process of applying for and receiving available governmental financial assistance
  • Making sure your child has access to effective education
  • Recovering appropriate compensation from health care professionals who played a role in your child developing CP

The Fitzgerald Law Firm: Skilled in Representing Families Dealing With Cerebral Palsy

A birth injury like cerebral palsy can be the result of medical malpractice or doctor’s negligence.

Here at The Fitzgerald Law Firm, we understand how devastating the condition can be for families, and are committed to helping you obtain the compensation you deserve.

There’s never a charge for the first meeting, so call us at 800-323-9900.