How To Select & Manage A Personal Care Attendant For Your Special Needs Child

Among the reasons for large settlements and jury awards for families of children with cerebral palsy, autism and other special needs are the significant financial and time-consuming obligations of helping their child reach their potential.

To ease their requirements, many families rely upon the services of a personal care attendant (PCA). In this article, we’ll talk about how families can interview, hire and manage the right PCA candidate.

Why would I need a personal care attendant?

A news report with data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that families with special needs children spend about 1.5 billion hours collectively each year providing home health care.

Among the time-consuming technical tasks are maintaining ventilators, performing physical therapy and tracking medication.

What exactly is a personal care attendant?

Essentially, a PCA can serve as a lifeline to people with special needs by providing help with basic daily routines and with physical everyday tasks. They can also help in a host of other ways, including providing in-home therapy, helping a child with homework, exercises, etc.

How do I make sure I hire the right candidate?

Before you interview the first candidate to serve as your PCA, it’s important to write down exactly your objectives for having a PCA. Remember, the PCA you eventually select is a person paid to help you accomplish specific things.

As you write down your objectives and needs, being honest and reasonable about your needs will help you prioritize exactly what you want from your PCA.

When you interview candidates, do not settle for the first person you speak with. In addition to making sure you get along with them, it’s crucial that the person you select is:

  • Reliable
  • Punctual
  • Respectful

What are my duties to the PCA?

The main thing to remember that your PCA is not your friend or counselor; rather s/he is there to work for you. In other words, you are their manager. If s/he makes you feel uncomfortable or is not getting their assigned tasks completed, it’s imperative that you speak up or take action.

If your child developed a condition from medical malpractice or a birth injury, call The Fitzgerald Law Firm.

Being a victim of medical malpractice or birth injury can have life-long consequences. That’s why it’s crucial to partner with a lawyer who knows how the legal system works and how to fight for your rights.

For a free consultation, call The Fitzgerald Law Firm at 800-323-9900.